Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Last night I tried to type few words in my blog but I was too drunk and I gave up quickly. I organised a Couch Surfing meeting in Plaza de Santa Lucia. It is a beautiful square but nobody told me that all the bars were going to be closed (well, I suppose nobody knew as the group is not very active and they don't meet up often). We were only five people but I had a great time. As everything was closed in Santa Lucia, we took our cars and we drove to another place, called Sarita near Bella Vista. It was a very nice and very famous bar with a lot of good Colombian vallenato music, which I like a lot now. I had such a good time that I hardly noticed new beers coming on the table and at the end it appeared that I drank eight (it is a miracle - I always drink two beers maximum :)).

Before the meeting Neo and Zoe (his sister) invited me to a trip to Sinamaica lagoon, desert and salt lake. It was absolutely amazing!!! It took us two hours to get there, first we had to get out of the city. There are many engineering schools and universities in Maracaibo because the region, called Zulia, is very rich in oil.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Maracaibo
We passed by six dead dogs, one cat, one fox and one donkey!! - all of them hit by vehicles and left on the road to rot, even the big donkey... We also saw a carrito on fire, Neo jumped off his car with the fire extinguisher and helped the carrito driver to extinguish the flames.

Sinamaica lagoon was wonderful and so peacefull... I switched off my phone as I didn't want anyone to spoil the moment. We had an hour ride on a boat; you can observe people living in the houses on the water called palafitos, such a simple life!! In the picture with Zoe.
On the way back The Guys were giving me tips what not to do on the Venezuelan - Colombian border. Apparently thives will not be interested in me, the ones who will try to get as much money from me as possible are the police and military officers. So... do not give your passport to anyone, even if it is a police officer as they will demand money for giving it back to you. Just go to the custom office and show it to the right people. It happens that they put drugs in your rucksack and then they demand money for not reporting it. Be very vigilant.
The Guys also told me that in Venezuela often happens that if somebody dies, people throw the corpse on a driving car on a road and then they accuse the driver of killing the person. They demand money for not reporting it and not putting the driver into a big trouble. Oh my god...