Sunday, February 20, 2011

Some very honest conclusions of my trip

Places of natural beauty I loved in my trip:
The Amazon river and jungle on the Brazilian side and the Uyuni desert in Bolivia (both incredible and magic places).

Cities I liked the most on the continent:
Caracas in Venezuela, Medellin in Colombia (they are very similar, both located in a valley and surrounded by mountains) and Buenos Aires (very beautiful and spacious, with many things to do).

Places of sentimental value for me (mainly because I was dancing a lot in there):
Porto Seguro in Brazil (the world capital of lambada zouk), Cali in Colombia (the world capital of a very particular style of salsa), Buenos Aires in Argentina (the South American capital of everything :)).

Places I didn't like the most: some cities in Brazil. I felt very lonely and excluded from groups of people because I don't drink alcohol, smoke marijuana or go to disco clubs. For this reason I wasn't able to make friends (but at other times in other countries my social life was blooming).

One thing that shocked me right from the beginning of my trip: the level of violence and crime in South America, something I have never seen or experienced before in my life, and level of poverty.

Feeling I hated in my trip: being treated by local people like a millionaire just because I live in Europe, and being used for this reason.

Something that surprised me a lot: very many excellent doctors, dentists and plastic surgeons. Brazil, Venezuela and Colombia are masters in plastic surgery and beauty procedures, the level of it is much higher than in Europe. There is a big emphasis on esthestics in these countries and many  people look good for this reason.

Another thing is that it's not only difficult for South Americans to visit Europe due to visa and immigration problems. It's also sometimes difficult for the people from Europe or North America to cross borders or stay in one country for a long time. I had "interviews" at few borders, I think it was caused by their concern that I was involved in a cocaine trade or prostitution (but do I really look that suspicious??...). I know foreigners who married locals to stay in South America. Before I thought that this business was happening only in well developed countries.

The past year was extraordinary for me. Before I handled my resignation letter at work I couldn't sleep for a week. Quitting job helped me to understand one important thing: if you quit, the world is not going to end and you are not going to die, as I thought before. Therefore, I feel stronger because I made this huge step.
I put all my stuff in plastic boxes, sold my car, said goodbye to all my friends, and I left. Now, a day before my return, I have to say that I don't regret my decision at all. I learnt so much about life, people, places... it's something you will never learn by reading books or watching TV. I was almost killed several times but I survived and I hope that this experience will change my life for the better too.
Initially I thought about calculating how much money I have spent in the whole trip. Well, I always put an amount I spent in my blog when I was leaving a country. Now I think that my trip has been PRICELESS and it doesn't matter how much I have spent. You can make this trip "cheap" if you stay with Couch Surfers as I did and if you are very careful how you spend your money.

Little records of my trip:
I spent only 8 nights in hotels in a year and 3 weeks, all the rest were houses of local Couch Surfing people
In 9 months, after visiting 9 Spanish speaking countries, my Spanish advanced from non-existent to fluent
I wore 1 pair of jeans and 1 swimming costume all year round :)
I was very close to death several times, and once... I died. (see Cusco in Peru section).

Why I am happy about coming back home:
I will see my wonderful friends
I will dance lambada zouk again
I will wear my beautiful dresses, shoes and handbags :)

Why I am not happy about coming back home:
well... the weather in England...
hunting for a new job
leaving people behind, for example: Orlando and others from Cali, Renato from Rio de Janeiro, Adriana from Fortaleza, Hernan from Caracas, Nehomar and his wonderful family from Maracaibo, Marco from Maracaibo, Carmen and Claudia from Santa Marta, Silvia from Medellin, Christian from Guayaquil, Marco from Lima, Rosalia from La Paz, Familia Encalada from Calama, Carlos from Santiago de Chile, José from Mendoza, Crisitan from Córdoba, Hernan from Buenos Aires, Daniela from Buenos Aires, Rafael from Montevideo, Nicolas from Maldonado, Diana from Asunción and many others.... Thank you my angels for helping me feel good in this trip.
I have been hosted by so many people that I can't list them all here. I am sorry for this.... but I will always remember ALL of you.